This wonderful dish is a fast and fun take on a fragrant chicken curry. The additional of pan toasted coconut ground into a delicious paste makes this curry luxurious but still very healthy…I hope you enjoy my quick and delicious recipe.
Chicken and eggplant curry with toasted coconut
500g chicken cut into strips, use tenderloins, thighs or breast
1 large onion finely chopped
1.5 teaspoons curry powder
1 small eggplant cut into rounds and then sliced into strips
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 cup shredded coconut pan toasted until golden brown
100ml chicken stock
- Grease and heat the large pan and then add the chicken which has been dusted in the curry powder and turmeric. Allow to brown on the first side before you turn over to do the other side.
- Once brown and fragrant add the onions and the eggplant strips and reduce the heat. Stir occasionally until the onion and eggplant softens.
- Add the tomatoes and reduce the heat and allow to stew.
- In a dry clean pan add the coconut and heat. Shake the pan occasionally and allow the coconut to toast evenly, it should start to smell heavenly
- Place coconut into a food processor and blend for about 3 minutes. At first the coconut will simply chop finely and then it will eventually turn into a thick rich paste.
- Add this tasty paste to the rest of the curry, cook through for about another 5 minutes, season and serve!
I served this with jasmine rice cooked as per package instructions with 5ml turmeric and 5ml curry powder added to the cooking water…just for some culinary fun!