This is one of my favourite things to do to soup…bling it up! Give it some crunch, some attitude and some personality! I love how the cauliflower and chorizo add amazing flavour and interest to a classic dish…it’s so simple and so inviting!
Let me know what you think!
Spiced sweet potato and butternut soup with chorizo, cauliflower and parsley dust
2 brown onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 garlic clove finely minced
500g peeled diced sweet potato
500g peeled diced butternut or pumpkin
3ml finely grated nutmeg
3ml finely ground cinnamon
5ml turmeric powder
2 star anise (optional)
1.5 liters chicken or vegetable stock
(80ml cream to enrich at end-optional)
1 chorizo sausage, diced (about 100g) or use bacon or speck
½ cup fresh cauliflower finely chopped or made into crumbs in food processor
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- To make the soup simply place the butter, onion and garlic in a large pot and heat gently. Stir and heat until the onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients (not the dust ingredients) into the pot and allow to come to the boil. To reduce the time of this dish you can precook the sweet potato and butternut or even use left-over roast or boiled veggies for this. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, adjust seasoning, remove the anise, then add the cream and then blend until smooth with a stick blender.
- To make the dust simply food process the diced sausage until it resembles fine crumbs, place the chorizo mince into a greased and heated pan and cook until fragrant and hot, stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn. Blend the cauliflower and parsley in the same processor and pulse until nicely combined. Add to the cooked chorizo and allow to heat through.
- Serve with the velvety soup…enjoy!